DR. EDWARD KUSEK IS COMMITTED TO PROVIDING EXCELLENCE IN DENTISTRY
Dr. Edward Kusek stands out as a leading dentist in Sioux Falls and uses the latest in dentistry techniques to provide you with a beautiful and healthy smile. Additionally, he believes strongly in education to prevent oral health problems before they occur and makes sure to keep patients fully informed about their dental health. Dr. Kusek is a general dentist and is truly compassionate about continuing education and offering his patients the latest advancements in general dentistry.
HOMETOWN AND EDUCATION
- Born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska, Dr. Kusek is a graduate of Creighton University and received his Doctorate in Dental Surgery from the University of Nebraska College of Dentistry in 1984.
- Upon graduation, Dr. Kusek established his practice in Sioux Falls and has been serving the Sioux Falls area for over 35 years.
- Dr. Kusek enjoys being very knowledgeable in the field of restorative and implant dentistry. He began placing and restoring dental implants in 1987 and is continually advancing in techniques to restore healthy, natural smiles.
- He also holds several other higher levels of distinction including:
- Honored Fellow of the American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- Masterships in the Academy of General Dentistry
- Mastership in the Academy of Laser Dentistry
- Board Certified Implantologist – at this time Dr. Kusek is the only Board Certified Implantologist in eastern South Dakota.
- Diplomate American Board of Oral Implantology
- Dr. Kusek has been named Dentistry Today’s Leaders in Continuing Education for the sixth year in a row.
- He also has been honored for the seventh year in a row as “America’s Best Dentist.”
- He is one of 23 professionals worldwide who are recognized course providers for laser dentistry.
- Dr. Kusek received his Lifelong Learning and Service to Dentistry Award from AGD in 2012 and 2017.
- Along with these titles, Dr. Kusek is also an adjunct professor for the hygiene program at the University of South Dakota and an adjunct professor at the University of Nebraska’s dental school.
- He is also a long time member of the American Dental Association®, the South Dakota Dental Association and the Southeastern Dental Society.
- In 1995, Dr. Kusek completed training for conscious sedation at Miami Valley Hospital from Dr. Daniel Becker of Dayton, Ohio, one of the more rigorous trainings in the country.
- Dr. Kusek began using laser dentistry in 2004 and has lectured on it nationally and internationally for various organizations, such as:
- Dr. Kusek is a clinical instructor for Straumann (implant dentistry training) and Ultradent (laser training) and an instructor for GPT (Greater Plains Technologies) laser dentistry.
- He has published sixteen articles including:
- Use of the YSGG Laser in Dental Implant Surgery
- High Technology in Implant Dentistry, Part I
- High Technology in Implant Dentistry, Part II
- Implant Placement in Infected Sites
- The Use of Laser Technology and Stereolithography to Aid in the Placement of a Subperiosteal Implant
- Tissue-punch Technique in Non-attached Tissue using the YSGG Laser
- Soft Tissue Management After Implant Placement
- Flapless Implant Surgery with Aesthetic Temporaries
- Aesthetic Crown Lengthening with Reverse Vestibuloplasty
- Immediate Implant Placement into Infected Sites: Bacterial Studies of Photoacoustic Effects of the YSGG Laser
- The Er;Cr:YSGG Laser: A Perfect Fit with Implant Dentistry
- Five Year Retrospective Study of Laser-Assisted Periodontal Therapy
- Removable Prosthetics: Bad Attachments or Bad Design?
- Lasers Expand the Procedural Scope for General Dentists
- Failure Followed by a Successful Outcome
HOW DID YOU GET INTO DENTISTRY?
- Dr Kusek’s childhood had large role on him becoming a dentist. His father was an extremely skilled machinist and artist. He was able to visualize the correct tool needed for each situation and create exactly what was needed.
- With an interest in biology, Dr Kusek took his admiration of his father’s work and found the perfect field that blends science, engineering and artistry.
TELL US ABOUT YOUR FAMILY.
- Dr Kusek has been married to his wife, Jody, for over 35 years.
- They met while Dr Kusek was in dental school and had their first son, Adam, shortly after graduating.
- Dr Kusek also has a daughter, Amanda, who has been a dental hygienist with our practice for nearly 10 years and another son, Alex, who is also a dentist.
WHAT DO YOU DO IN YOUR FREE TIME?
- Those who know him know that Dr Kusek’s favorite hobby is learning more and expanding his scope of dentistry by attending many continuing education courses both nationally and internationally, as well as serving as an executive member on various dental associations.
- Beyond dentistry, Dr. Kusek enjoys spending time with his family, especially his six grandchildren, two of whom are identical twin girls who keep grandpa on his toes when he babysits!
- He also enjoys distance running, golfing and traveling. Some of his favorite vacations are visiting the national and state parks in Utah and Colorado, as well as accommodating his grandchildren when they visit Disneyland for their first times!
- Being raised in the state and having lived through the dynasty years of the 70s and 90s, Dr Kusek is a diehard fan of the Nebraska Cornhusker football team.